Dear faithful ‘followers’/subscribers,
I wish to inform you that I had move from here to a self-hosted http://www.ibnamoo.com! It means that my posts you used to see here wouldn’t be available anymore here. To continue to enjoy the interesting posts on career advancement, I implore you to subscribe to the mailing list on the new site. Don’t forget to use the share buttons below to inform your followers about the posts. I hope to see you there!
The National Association of Students in English and Literary Studies (NASELS), University of Lagos is organising the 1st Segun Awonusi Phonetics Competition.
Prof. Awonusi, who is a phonetician/phonologist-cum-sociolinguist or perhaps more appropriately described as a sociophonologist (a product of the London School under the joint supervision of Professors A.C. Gimson
and John Wells) has spent most of his academic career at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, where he occupies a Chair of English Language. He also has wide experience in administration as he was once the Ogun State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology and the Vice Chancellor, Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijagun, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.
Awonusi, who was appointed a professor of English in 2000, was awarded a Ph.D in English/Linguistics with specialization in Phonetics from the University of London in 1985, while he had qualifications in Education, English Studies, Business Studies and Linguistics. The 62-year-old academic had held key appointments at the University of Lagos, where he started his teaching career including Sub-dean, School of Post-Graduate Studies; Acting Dean, Faculty of Arts; University Orator; and Chairman, UNILAG Radio Station.
This event in his honour which highlights the importance of English phonetics to Nigerian learners holds as follows:
Theme: Phonetics! Phonetics! The Nigerian Student Date: 5th June, 2014
Venue: Arts Theatre, University of Lagos
Guest Speaker: Dr Adenike Akinjobi (Associate Professor, University of Ibadan)
Host: Dr Adeyemi Daramola (Head, Department of English, University of Lagos)
- 1st Prize: N20,000
- 2nd Prize: N15,000
- 3rd Prize: N10,000
Come and get educated at this laudable initiative. There is no gate fee because it is free!
Originally posted on Post2015.org - what comes after the MDGs?:
Written by Dr Álvaro Sobrinho, Chairman of the Planet Earth Institute – an international NGO and charity working for the ‘scientific independence of Africa’.
Last week it was my pleasure to lead a delegation to the United Nations headquarters in New York, as part of our Planet Earth Institute (PEI) campaign to see science, technology and innovation play a key role in Africa’s Post-2015 development. Hosted by Ambassador Téte António and the Permanent Observer Mission to the UN of the African Union, and working with Ms Amina J. Mohammed, the UN Secretary General’s Adviser on Post-2015 planning, our conference gathered policy makers and African diplomats together to strengthen commitment to this agenda.
As priorities begin to be consolidated within the Post-2015 Open Working Group and, crucially, the other institutional frameworks emanating from Africa, it is particularly critical to continue to fight for the prominence of science and technology for…
View original 636 more words
The UNIDO in collaboration with the International Centre for Promotion of Enterprises invite applications for a nine–day course on Sustainable Energy Solutions in Ljubljana, Slovenia. The aim of the course is to address some of the key issues of sustainable energy by raising awareness amongst a group of a selected participants . more precisely, the organizers will try to convey an in-depth understanding of energy poicy, technology and financing as most important segments for developing sustainable energy system.
The course will comprise a dynamic mix of lecture based and interactive teaching methods supported by guide excursions to green enterprises and research centres. In this way participants will familiarize themselves with the currents and expected trends in sustainability.
- There is no participation fees for the course
- Accommodation, food and travel will be covered by UNIDO and ICPE
- The course is opened to current and future policy-makers from emerging and developing countries engaged in the design and implementation of energy policies, as well as to other stakeholders from NGOs, academia or the private sector dealing with such issues
- Participants from previous UNIDO Institute training are not eligible for application to this course
DEADLINE: 15th June, 2014
To apply and for more information visit here
Originally posted on BookRepublic:
The Writer’s Laboratory will offer writers and illustrators the opportunity to pitch their new works to mainstream publishers.
Organized by BookRepublic, an online literary magazine published every Sunday on http://www.bukrepublik.com, The Writers’ Laboratory will set a pace for the necessary preparation needed by Nigerian writers, who are new to publishing, to face her uncertain storm.
We are offering our participants an hour every day to network with stakeholders in the industry. Representatives of certain publishing houses will be around to discuss probable publishing contract with writers and illustrators.
How To Participate
June 20 – 21
University of Ibadan Hotel Board Room, Ibadan
8am – 4pm [everyday]
Interested participants are to pay a fee of N10, 000 to;
Participants interested in securing accommodation for both days are to pay N18, 000 only. Limited spaces are available.
Bank Name: Stanbic IBTC Bank
Bank Account: 0005158185
View original 64 more words
Apply for Diamond Bank’s Building Entrepreneurs Today 2014 (BET4) Business Grant: 3 Million Naira up for Grabs
Do you have an innovative business that needs funding?
BET – Building Entrepreneurs Today – 4 marks another great opportunity for entrepreneurs all over Nigeria in the following industries (Agro allied, Renewable Energy & Information Technology) to present their businesses and innovation and have the opportunity of being selected as one of the top 50 businesses that will be provided with extensive training, mentoring and advisory by the Enterprise Development Centre with the top 5 businesses winning 3 Million naira each.
The first phase of the BET programme commenced in 2010 with Diamond Bank empowered 5 entrepreneur with growth capital of N3 million each after they emerged top 5 from rigorous business training at the Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) of the Pan African University.
The programme focus on 3 Core areas
- Agro allied- Businesses in the agriculture sector
- Information Technology- Technology based businesses
- Renewable Energy- Businesses focused on improving and providing renewable energy
- Applicant must have a fully functional business (at least 3months in operations)
- Applicant MUST not have attended any entrepreneurial Management program at EDC.
- The business must have high growth potential.
How to Apply
You can apply for this programme online at Diamond Bank BET 4 application form
Capacity Building Phase
EDC will be responsible for selecting the best 50 entrepreneurs that will partake in the 3 months Capacity Building Program at the Enterprise Development Centre of the Pan African University. These 50 participants will enjoy the following;
- EDC networking meeting
- Business advisory and counseling session
Business Development Phase
From the 50 entrepreneurs, 15 will be selected as Top Breed Students and they will be further engaged in an Intensive Business Development Support Service for another period of 6 months. This set of 15 students shall be provided with the following services;
- A quarterly consulting session to be provided by experts in various fields
- Provide monthly monitoring contacts with mentors for participants
- Provide a mentor for each participant who shall be a second year MBA student at the Lagos Business School.
- Organize a platform for participant’s review of their plans with the University.
Next Level Award
From the 15 Top students entrepreneurs, EDC will select 5 outstanding entrepreneurs that will be given the “Next Level Award”. Diamond Bank will reward the 5 outstanding entrepreneurs with a sum of N3 million Naira each as their growth capital for their businesses.
An Award / Prize Presentation ceremony will be organized by the Bank to showcase the 5 outstanding entrepreneurs to the general public.
Students in all faculties in the University of Lagos are encouraged to participate in the 2014 Annual Essay Competition of the Foundation For A Better Environment [FABE] Nigeria.
Prizes to be won
1st Prize: Galaxy Tab and employment opportunity with the Ministry of Environment, Lagos 2nd Prize: Mini lap top
3rd Prize: BlackBerry
Entries for the competition should cover the topic:
Man has contributed to global warming. Yes or No? Please substantiate on this topic.
Guidelines for Submission
- Entries must be original and must meet the standard for publication in both local and international journals.
- Typed in 1.5 line spacing (Times Roman with 12 points font size); 2000 words on A4 paper.
- Include citation of sources; in-text and work cited must appear at the end of the essay.
- The following documents must be attached to all entries:
- Reference letter from the HOD of the participant’s department; and
- One recent passport sized photograph, current mobile telephone number and e-mail address of the participant.
Submission should be done on or before Friday, May 30, 2014.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Past winners are not eligible to participate.
- Plagiarism is prohibited and will attract disqualification of indicted entries.
For further information, please log on to the FABE Nigeria Website or call: 08076949597
This is to invite suitably qualified candidates to obtain the admission form into the Advanced Diploma in English & Film Studies (ADEFS).
Objectives: The general aim of the Advanced Diploma in English and Film Studies (ADEFS) is to offer an intervention platform through which the standard of Nigerian films can be enhanced.
The specific objectives of the programme are as follows:
- To develop the competence of film practitioners in spoken English and oral delivery.
- To develop the skills of film practitioners in the art of storytelling.
- To train movie practitioners and sharpen their skills in the art of translation and film subtitling.
- To equip film practitioners with English language norms and an internationally acceptable standard of English usage.
- To acquaint film practitioners with the synergy between the English language and the socio-cultural norms of Nigerian languages, which are raw materials for film production.
Admission Requirements: Applicants for admission to the Advanced Diploma in English and Film Studies must possess a minimum of four credits including English Language in not more than two sittings. Candidates may be subjected to a selection interview.
Duration of Programme and Lecture Period: The programme duration is two semesters, i.e. one academic session. Lecture period is Saturday only from 9am to 5pm.
Application Fee and Method of Application:
- Applicants are expected to visit the HRDC portal http//:hrdc.unilag.edu.ng to fill the pre-application form. (Contents of the pre-application form include Surname, First name, Middle name, E-mail address and Mobile number.) Upon successful completion of the pre-application form, the applicant will be issued a “Payment Reference Number” which should be printed out.
- Applicants should take their printout containing the payment reference number to any of the HRDC application fee collecting banks (Ecobank, Access Bank, First Bank and Wema Bank) on the university campus to make payment.
- After payment, applicants should return to the payment portal, click the application form link, log in with the Payment Reference Number and the Surname (in lower case and strictly as provided in the pre-application form) as password to access the application form.
Kindly note the following:
- Only application payments that the bank has confirmed receipt of will have access to the application form. Applicants who experience challenges may return to the bank where payment was made to request that their payment be posted. (Notification of payment receipt shall be sent to applicants who have paid.)
- The password will be as provided in the Surmame field in lower case; errors in filling of surname must therefore be reflected in the password used.
After completion of application form, printed copies (original printout and photocopy) should be submitted at the HRDC Secretariat with two (2) photocopies of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate;
- Reference Number printout;
- N7, 500.00 teller; and
Tuition and Course Materials Fees: Tuition for the programme is N75, 000.00 (Seventy-five Thousand Naira). Admitted students are required to pay N 5, 000.00 (Five Thousand Naira) for Course Materials.
Closing Date: Application closes eight weeks from the date of this publication.
Dr (Mrs.) Taiwo.F. Ipaye, MNIN
Registrar & Secretary to Council
The Muslim Public Affairs Centre (MPAC), through its work for the Ummah on the local scene and globally has developed an enduring relationship with the University of Marmara. Under our collaborative works with the University, we are pleased to offer post-graduate scholarship to deserving Muslim Nigerians. The process for selection of the candidates will be managed by MPAC as follow:
The scholarship is the first of the initiatives and programmes resulting from deep relationship with the Marmara University. The intensive training programme under the scholarship is desired to build academic and spiritual capacity of the Muslim youth for the ethical leadership development of the individual and for the progress of the Nigerian society. Successful applicants will also be entered into the European Language Label award winning intensive language courses (EILC) in Turkish.
The welfare of the successful applicants will be managed by the International Office of Marmara University and the student oriented ESN Marmara organisation will provide support during the entire programme.
Number of available opening: 2 (Males only)
The Marmara University is a public university in the Fatih district of Istanbul, in Turkey and is the second largest university in Turkey. The university’s mission is to impart and promote knowledge and values consistent with universal standards; to meet the technological, social and cultural challenges of a global society; to contribute to the creation of an informed society. Marmara University comprises 14 faculties, 9 vocational schools of higher education (generally providing 2-year associate bachelor degrees and 4-year Bachelors’ in some cases), 11 graduate institutes and 32 research centers. The university offers 136 associate bachelor’s and bachelor degree programmes.
The university currently serves students from 73 countries and it is one of the few Turkish universities, which is a member of the European University Association (EUA). Read more about the university here!
- Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, current Turkish Prime Minister
Aydin Dogan, influential Turkish businessman and industrialist in 1960
- Nihat Ergün, Turkish minister of Industry and Commerce since May 2009
- Kemal Sunal, Turkish actor known particularly for his role in film comedies, graduated with a masters’ degree from the Television Studies Department of Marmara University’s Institute of Social Sciences
- Ismail Acar, noted Turkish artist
- Nesrin Nas, Turkish academic, politician and the former leader of the Motherland Party
- Sevil Sabancı, member of the Sabancı family in third generation, a Turkish businesswoman
- Mustafa Sarıgül, former Member of the Turkish Parliament and mayor of the Istanbul district of Şişli since 1999
- Neslihan Gokdemir, journalist, columnist
- Edibe Sözen, Prof. Dr., academician and politician
Criteria for selection of potential candidates will be based on
• Academic qualifications – First Degree in any discipline (and a minimum of 2.2)
• Strong Islamic orientation and deep involvement in Muslim students activities during undergraduate studies and beyond
• Visibility and contributions at Muslim organizations programmes. Credible testimonial and character reference to accompany application. • Age limit: Only persons born in or after 1990 may apply • Gender: Only male Muslims to apply
Deadline for Application: 11th May, 2014
LEAP Africa is inviting young entrepreneurs to the 9th CEOs Forum which will hold on May 15, 2014 at the City Hall, Lagos Island.
The Forum initiated in 2005 brings together local and international speakers to share knowledge and insights to equip entrepreneurs to build sustainable local businesses that continue to yield value for generations. The Forum has come to be recongised as an annual event in the SME circle. This year’s Forum is themed “Leveraging Technology for SME Growth”.
The speakers & sub-themes
- The Online Marketplace - Mr Abasiama Idaresit, MD, Wild Fusion
- Managing Publicity through Social Media – Mr. Olusegun Martins Head, Technology, Insight Communication
- Disruptive Innovation, A catalyst for Business Growth - Prof. Balvinder Powar, MD, Booster Industries
- How Intelligent is Your Business? Mining Customer Information for Business Growth – Dr. Osa Emokpae, Chairman, Mindshare Advertising
If your interested please send me a brief of what your business is about (1 paragraph) and your contact details